Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Please share your thoughts about the Filter Bubble video we watched for our class this week. How do you feel about mathematical algorithms deciding what you should see when you do a search on the Internet, or what advertisements you should see? What potential problems can you see occurring from that kind of control, whether intentional or unintentional?

 Eli Pariser: Beware online "Filter Bubbles"

 

3 comments:

Alanna said...

I felt very uncomfortable with the idea of the Filter Bubble. I never expected certain websites like Google to be narrowing specific information down to what it thinks I should see. This is demonstrating an unnecessary amount of control. Mathematical algorithms should not be the barrier between people and information. These algorithms are showing us what we want to see, but not what we need to see. I feel that these filter bubbles are cutting people off from information that is necessary for some to acquire. I can see a major problem occurring from that kind of control. I can see people deciding against using the internet, and there be a sudden drop in internet use.

Unknown said...

The idea of the filter bubble makes sense in theory, but in practice, it hurts more than it helps. This is denying people information because the algorithm doesn't think they'd be interested in it. This is denying people the chance to see something new and be interested in it. I agree with Alanna, it does provide too much control. It's like censoring information so people don't see it.

Unknown said...

I found this video to be very shocking. I never knew filter bubbles even existed especially when using Google. I always thought if you searched the same topic as someone else you both would get the same results but I guess not. I also agree with Alanna and Chris I feel like these filter bubbles are cutting people off from the information that is necessary.